Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Let's start from the very beginning . . .


I have another blog (http://whofeedsyou.blogspot.com/).
A more personal journal-style blog about people I meet, things I love, what moves me.
This is a 'chip off the old blog', my second blog.
And it's dedicated to my learning journey about blogs.

For a start, I’d like to talk a little about some history of blogs.
These are taken mostly from Rebecca Blood’s research. Check out her blog on <http://www.rebeccablood.net/essays/weblog_history.html>.
Rebecca Blood, by the way, is one of the most cited authorities on blogging and featured in the New York Times, the BBC, Newsweek, and Time.
Her The Weblog Handbook has been called ‘the Strunk & White of blogging books’, and translated into five languages.
(Strunk & White are among the most noted authorities on writing. Their The Elements of Style is a must-read for all aspiring writers.)
When & How in the world blogs began?
In 1998, there only a handful of what we called blogs today.
In early 1999, Jesse James Garrett, editor of Infosift, counted a grand total of 23 weblogs in the world.
That same year, web journalist and designer Peter Merholz decided to call them ‘wee-blogs’, which were later shortened to ‘blogs’.
By the end of 1999, Blogger, Groksoup, and Edit This Page, among others, were released.
These web-based tools allowed the common net-user and HTML-illiterates like me to create and publish their own blogs easily and quickly.

And so web fever had begun.

By December 1999, the ‘bandwagon-jumping turned into an explosion'.
Today there are thousands and thousands of blogs, with hundreds started every day.

Ladies and gentlemen, in case you've been away from planet earth during the past eight years, let me announce to you: we have entered the era of 'the tsunami of weblogs'.

No comments:

About Me

In the Old Testament in the Bible, there was a man named Jacob who "wrestled with God and man." He wouldn't let God go until God answered his prayers. God admired that and renamed him Israel, "the one who fought or wrestled and prevailed". He fought with man--his inner man--and conquered his own weaknesses. He's my hero. He is what I hope God and man see me to be.